I love not shopping….like, LOVE. It’s so nice to have a Home Store, where I buy and store stuff in advance to have on hand when I need it, thereby eliminating most emergency trips to the store. Such a stress reducer!
This morning I went out into my garden and found eight beautifully ripe green bell peppers, so naturally, my first thought was “I MUST make some stuffed peppers!” Thanks to my Home Store, I already have every thing I need, right at my fingertips.
I love this recipe….I tweaked it to include all kinds of veggies and swapped out the rice for quinoa, which makes for a lighter dish, and the method I use for cooking the quinoa adds a nutty, irresistible flavor.
- 1 c. Thrive Ground Beef OR 1 lb ground beef, cooked and drained
- 1/2 c. Thrive Sausage Crumbles
- 1 c. Thrive FD Chopped Onion OR fresh onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 c. Thrive FD Chopped Spinach OR frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed
- 2 zucchini OR summer squash, grated
- 1 1/4 c. Thrive FD Tomato Dices OR 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 c. cooked Thrive Quinoa*
- 2 Tablespoons Thrive Tomato Powder
- 2 Tablespoons Thrive Classic Tomato Sauce
- 2 1/2 c. water
- 12 small OR 6 large bell peppers, cut in half and seeded (♥ RED bell peppers)
- 1 1/2 c. chicken broth
- 1 c. Thrive FD Mozzarella OR Colby Cheese**
- 1/3 c. Thrive FD Parmesan Cheese*
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/2 c. fresh basil, chopped OR 2 Tablespoons Thrive FD Basil
- Preheat oven to 350º. Prepare cheese if using freeze dried and cook quinoa.
- Put ground beef, sausage, and onion in pan on medium heat. Stir frequently to toast, 3-4 minutes. (If using fresh beef, sausage, and onion, brown and drain).
- Add garlic and saute 2 minutes, until fragrant, stirring frequently.
- Add spinach, zucchini/squash, tomatoes, quinoa, tomato powder, Classic Tomato Sauce, and 2 1/2 cups water. Simmer 7-10 minutes and adjust seasonings to taste, and liquid as desired. Add basil.
- Pour chicken broth into a 9×13 pan. Place pepper halves cut side up into the broth.
- Fill pepper halves with meat/quinoa/veggie mixture.
- Cover tightly with foil and bake 45 minutes.
- Uncover, sprinkle with cheeses, and bake 15 more minutes.
*Tip for making practically perfect fluffy quinoa: rinse quinoa well under cold water and drain at least 20 minutes (if using Thrive Quinoa, you can skip this step and the draining). Add to hot pan and toast until fragrant. Remove to bowl. Use a ratio of 1 part quinoa to 1.5 parts liquid. Bring liquid (water, beef or chicken broth or bouillon) to a rapid boil. Add toasted quinoa and cover with lid, leaving a slight vent. Reduce to med-low heat and maintain a strong simmer. Cook 16 minutes or until water is gone. Remove from heat, remove lid. Let rest 10 minutes; fluff with a fork.
**Tip for reconstituting freeze dried cheese: put cheese in a bowl. Very slowly add water, while constantly stirring. Once you notice water beginning to collect on the bottom of the bowl, STOP. You have enough water. Put in a zip top bag and flatten. Place in refrigerator a minimum of one hour. This method produces an amazing reconstituted cheese that tastes great and melts wonderfully.
Give these yummy stuffed peppers a try…sneak a veggie or two into those bellies! Let me know if you make them!
Growing a garden and utilizing my Home Store are two ways that I make PEACE and PREPAREDNESS a part of my EVERY DAY LIFE.
See you soon!
P.S. If you want to know how YOU can have YOUR own Home Store, you can check out this link, or contact me by clicking HERE or the little envelope icon in the right hand side bar. I’d LOVE to share with you all the great things about THRIVE and how it’s changed my life. If you’d like to earn FREE and half off product, or even earn a paycheck, be in touch! I can help you!