Last month I went to my mom’s house and helped her fix a bunch of meals in jars. Using shelf stable Thrive ingredients to create some meals put together in advance, are just the thing to make life a little easier. It’s incredibly lovely to have a yummy, healthy dinner on the table in 20 minutes or less.
We did Zuppa Toscana, Chicken Noodle Soup, Southwestern Chicken & Rice Soup, Lasagna Soup, Penne with Chicken & Asparagus, and Beef Stroganoff. Now she has 12 meals on the shelf in the pantry that she can get on the table in a jiffy.
I LOVE THRIVE!!!
Not only are these quick and easy, but Thrive freeze dried ingredients also make them healthy and delicious.
Simply add your ingredients to your jar, usually with all powdered ingredients on the bottom and larger pieces on top…I will usually tap the jar gently on a towel to help settle the ingredients and make sure everything fits in.
Then you can seal it with the jar lid and ring, or you can use a Food Saver to remove all the oxygen from the jar and seal it. These will last several weeks in your pantry with no loss of quality or nutrients, but are not meant for long term storage.
Today I’m sharing my Southwestern Chicken & Rice Soup in a Jar recipe with you. This recipe originally was one I made with my canned food storage and called it 6 Can Chicken Soup. And it was pretty good. But after tweaking it and adding good stuff like Thrive Instant Brown Rice, and Thrive Veloute Sauce and Classic Tomato Sauce, it’s evolved into a whole new set of deliciousness.
Add to quart sized mason jar, in order:
- 1/2 cup Thrive Instant Brown Rice
- 1/2 cup Thrive Sweet Corn
- 1/2 cup Thrive Instant Black Beans
- 1/2 cup Thrive Tomato Dices
- 3/4 cup Thrive Seasoned Chicken Slices
- 1/4 cup Thrive Green Chili Peppers
In a plastic zip-top bag, place:
- 2 Tbsp Thrive Chicken Bouillon
- 2 Tbsp Thrive Veloute Sauce
- 2 Tbsp Thrive Classic Tomato Sauce
- 1 tsp Thrive Cilantro
- 1/3 cup Thrive Shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
- Heat soup pot to medium high heat. Add jar contents except for sauce mix. Toast in pot, stirring frequently, until fragrant, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add two quarts water and bring to a gentle boil. Simmer 10 minutes.
- Add Sauce mix and simmer another 10 minutes.
- Serve with tortilla chips, if desired.
This is a delicious, quick, easy meal that you can have on the table in 20 minutes. One you can feel good about. I’d love to know if you make it!
Have a happy Halloween this weekend. Can you believe Thanksgiving and Christmas are right around the corner!??!!?