Don’t you love convenience? I really love convenience….
There is a certain canned soup company that was part of my cooking repertoire almost daily until a couple of years ago. Their condensed soups made cooking quick and easy. But once you start reading labels, there’s no going back, and I now make my cream of soup mix and use it anytime I need Cream of Mushroom, or Cream of Chicken soup.
I didn’t have a convenient substitute for the condensed tomato soup, until recently, so we stopped eating all the recipes we used to have that used it. I never loved the condensed tomato soup….it was too sweet and wimpy in flavor, so I am THRILLED that Thrive’s Tomato Sauce Mix is bursting with flavor, doesn’t have the “sweet” taste and is in my Home Store…yep, keep it in my pantry.Sometimes, you don’t want (or have the time) to spend hours slaving over the hot stove. You’ve got a million different directions you’re running and need dinner on the table ASAP. This is a great “kid approved” dinner you can have on the table in 20 minutes or less (I say less, because if you don’t have 8 people in your house, it’ll probably take you a lot less time that it does in our house).
Printable Recipe Card
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup Thrive Tomato Sauce Mix (NOT Tomato Powder)
- 1 1/2-2 cups whole milk, Half & Half, or cream (I prefer a mix of whole milk and Half & Half)
- 1 tablespoon Thrive Freeze Dried Basil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Bring water to a boil in sauce pan. In the meantime, combine Tomato Sauce Mix, basil, and garlic powder in a bowl.
- When water reaches a boil, whisk sauce mixture into the boiling water.
- Reduce heat and simmer and whisk 2-3 minutes.
- Add cream, Half & Half, or whole milk, and salt and pepper to taste, and heat through. Add more milk as needed to reach desired consistency.
Serve with Grilled Cheese Sandwiches or a handful of saltine crackers for a delicious and easy meal.
What is YOUR favorite quick and easy “kid approved” meal? Have you had to make any changes to it, in order to make it healthier?
Thanks for stopping by, and as always, I look forward to your comments!