Remember how we made bread crumbs the other day? Well, I needed them to make some chicken nuggets. I’m so excited about my guest blogger today!
Please welcome my sister-in-law Lessa, who is sharing her Baked Chicken Nuggets recipe!
Take it away, Lessa!
If your kids are anything like mine, they love chicken nuggets. Any kind of nuggets will do – nuggets from McDonalds, Wendy’s or, of course, the famous Dino Nuggets found in the frozen food section of your local grocery store. However, if you are anything like me, there are 2 reasons you don’t like to feed these to your children:
1. You are not exactly sure what is in them (and to probably don’t really want to know) or
2. They are very expensive.
One day, I decided to see if I could make my own nuggets that were relatively easy and that my kids still liked. After a little trial and error, I arrived at the perfect recipe.
First you cut your chicken up into bite sized pieces. Then bread it with bread crumbs and some seasonings….
Bake, and freeze! Or eat. Or both.
Baked Chicken Nuggets
Approximately 350 nuggets per 10 lbs chicken
- 10 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 5 C Italian bread crumbs
- 1 1/4 C Parmesan cheese, grated
- 5 tbs. olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Trim chicken breast and cut into nugget size pieces.
- Place 2-3 handfuls of the chicken in a container (or freezer bag) you can shake.
- Add 1 tbs. olive oil to the container, seal and shake until chicken is well coated.
- Combine breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese in a bowl and dip chicken in it to coat.
- Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place nuggets on sheet in a single layer and bake for 10 minutes.
- Flip nuggets over and bake another 7-10 minutes.
- Repeat steps 3 through 8 until chicken is all cooked.
- Serve hot or let cool and freeze.
Just a few “for your information” notes:
- To re-heat after you have frozen the chicken nuggets, just place the frozen nuggets on a cookie sheet and bake for 10 minutes at 400 degrees. (*Jenn’s note: We especially love how crispy they are after the second bake time (from frozen).
- The recipe is in bulk because I like to freeze them and have them on hand. If you want to make a smaller recipe, here are the measurements: 1 lb. chicken breast, 1 C Italian bread crumbs, ¼ C Parmesan cheese and 1 tbs. oil. Just follow the instructions without the repeat.
- My sister-in-law made the nuggets with buttermilk in place of the oil. Still really yummy!
Well, that is about all folks… except… ENJOY!!!
Thanks Lessa! My hubby and kids are LOVING our new chicken nugget stash!
Have YOU all made your own chicken nuggets? Tell us about it!