Granola….the food of the Gods, ya?
I love it….would I eat it in a bowl, would I eat it with a…..troll,
I would eat it here or there, I would eat it everywhere.
One of my favorites is with yogurt or cottage cheese and some homemade apple butter….sigh…..oh. yeah.
Granola is actually super easy to make, AND the coolest part is that you have complete control over your ingredients!
Today’s recipe is actually a fat free recipe, (other than the naturally occurring fat in the nuts). Which makes it one of my favs! AND it actually is one of the crunchier recipes I have, when cooked long enough.
I have trouble keeping this one in the house….my kids love it….I have to stand over them with a measuring cup to make sure they’re just taking a serving size (we’re big into that at our house. It’s part of my quest to teach them to be mindful of their choices.)
Well, would ya like to know how to make it??
If you don’t have any maple syrup on hand, you can substitute 1/2 molasses and 1/2 honey, which is what I did on this particular day.
Dump your oats and cereals into a big bowl and give it a stir…
Combine your sugar, spices and wet ingredients in a bowl and mix well. (Sorry for the neon blue bowl…don’t know how he got in here).
Dump the wet into the dry…..do the hokey pokey and you mix it all up….that’s what it’s all about. At least I amuse myself.
bake, swap, bake, stir, bake, cool….you know it! (And detailed instructions are included below, for those who really can’t figure out just what is wrong with me today!)
Can I just say one more time…..
*Now, in the interest of full disclosure, I have to admit to throwing the tail ends of some coconut, pistachios, and dried cherries in this here batch. Just keepin’ it real people, keepin’ it real. But in all seriousness, that’s the beauty of this baby….she will clean out your cupboards!
Harvest Delight Granola
Recipe by The Essential Homemaker
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: up to 1 hour
Total time: 1 hr 15 min.
Yield: abt 24 servings
- 3 1/2 cups old fashioned oats
- 3 1/2 cups quick oats
- 5 cups puffed rice, puffed wheat or combination of the two
- 4 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice mix
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla or Pure Vanilla Powder
- 3 cups chopped nuts (almonds, pecans, walnuts, or combination)
- 2 cups dried fruit (raisins, cranberries, dates, or combination)
- Preheat oven to 325º F.
- Spray two cookie sheets with cooking spray or grease with butter.
- In a large bowl, combine oats and cereal.
- In a medium bowl, whisk spices, salt, sugar, applesauce, pumpkin, maple syrup and vanilla until smooth.
- Add to dry ingredients and stir until oat mixture is evenly coated.
- Divide between the two cookie sheets, and spread into an even layer.
- Bake 15 minutes with one tray on top rack and one on the bottom rack.
- Swap trays (move the top tray to bottom shelf and bottom tray to top).
- Bake another 15 minutes
- Stir/turn the granola, add the nuts, and cook 15-30 minutes more until crisp and golden.
- Add dried fruit. Store in an airtight container and enjoy!
Remember to enter the Shelf Reliance giveaway!
It ends on Monday, February 11th at midnight!
What creative ways do YOU eat granola?